A few months ago one of my favourite bloggers (Elise), shared this tutorial on how to propagate succulents. The photos looked so pretty and the steps looked pretty fool proof (ie. remove leaf from plant, wait for new plant to grow), and considering that aside from an air plant my succulents are the only houseplants that I haven’t managed to completely kill (yet)……I figured I’d give it a go.
I have 2 succulents – one is a mixed planter from Lowes and which keeps growing taller and all the leaves keep falling off so that one was an obvious choice to try propagating and the other one is a jade succulent that is actually doing pretty well.
I removed a few leaves from each of the different plants and let them dry out then placed them on soil in a pot on the windowsill. After a few weeks most of the leaves had a huge outgrowing of roots….a good sign….then I waited for the new leave buds to sprout. And I waited.
Finally a handful of leaves began to sprout, maybe 5 out of about 20. I got a mixed bag too, a couple of each of the plants except the skinny green one, none of those leaves made roots or sprouted. It looks like it’s about time I move these new sprouted plants into a new pot. It’ll be the slowest growing mixed planter of all time!
The one that I like the best is the little one I put in the cork. I didn’t make the cork, in fact Kathy bought them nearly two years ago and they had tiny succulents in them already but then one died so I used an elastic band to hold a leaf against the top of the cork where it sprouted and took off. The leaf still hasn’t died off completely yet but I have high hopes for this tiny plant.
So for anyone considering propagating their succulents it’s a very, very slow process that seems to be very hit or miss but when it works it works great!