I tried to me adventurous with my bread-making this weekend and I ventured well outside my trusty white bread loaf recipe into the much trickier world of bagel making. My first attempt was a complete flop….literally…..the dough didn’t rise at all after a first proof of 40 mins. It turns out I managed to use a package of yeast that had been expired for a year. How does that even happen considering I make a couple of loaves of bread a month….where on earth had that package of yeast been hibernating?
So I scraped that dough, bought some new yeast and tried again on Saturday and this time hurray the yeast rose. On the second proof I shaped them into rough little bagel shapes and then waited for them to rise. My portioning up of the dough must have been quite off though because the rise was so uneven amoung them.
I continued on anyway….boiled the bagels for 5 mins….and this is where it went a little pear shaped. The first three bagels turned out great, they were big and bagel like. Out of the remaining 6 bagels 3 of them seemed to shrivel up when I took them out the water as though I’d over boiled them….perhaps because they were a bit smaller than the first three going in. I’m not sure but they ended up hard as rocks. I egg washed and doused the alright looking bagels with poppy seeds and baked them until them were golden.
Those first three bagels turned out delicious! I devoured them, I even treated myself to some Nutella for the occasion (something which is usually banned from my house). The other bagels were so-so. The recipe/technique still needs a bit of work before I can call it a keeper. But it’s fun experimenting.