I turned the mini quilt top, which I was making to practice my piecing, into a sewing machine cover. I had been off to a flying start and had managed to get quite a few of the corners to machine up perfectly when they were only 4x4 squares. Unfortunately when I started sewing up those squares into 8x8 and then 16x16 squares things got a little wonky. Not terrible but not perfect.
I’ve said it to myself before but I’ll say it yet again so that I remember – "Next time oversize the squares and trim the finished blocks to size".
I added a 2 inch strips of white fabric around the edges of the rainbow quilt top and then sewed on two side pieces and boxed the sides in……and then repeated the boxing in step because the sides were a little too big to stand up. I didn't line or interface this cover so it might not stand up to a huge amount of wear and tear.....but then again it's a sewing machine cover so it main job is just to sit there and look pretty anyway.
All in all it was a great learning experience, I’ve gotten better at piecing and those tricky ¼ inch seams and of course I also have a bright and cheerful sewing machine cover hanging out on my desk now.