I’ve been happily knitting away in the evenings for the past few weeks and managed to make some fairly good progress on several projects, including finishing the chevron baby blanket. I wasn’t entirely sure of the colours at first (especially that bright yellow as I normally prefer more muted tones) but I do like how they all came together – and they are the colours that the mum-to-be wanted so I can’t argue with that. This was a great project, the pattern was free (here it is on ravelry), the yarn was $15 and it only took about a week to make (1-2 hours in the evenings).
I will point out though for anyone thinking of making it themselves it is a very narrow blanket – the pattern calls for 121 stitches – I cast on 145 which is one extra pattern repeat but I still think it’s a little on the narrow side. If I was doing it again I’d cast on 169. Other than that it’s a very pattern and quick and simple project.
I’ve also made some progress on the Anna blanket. After catching the mistake last week I ripped out and re-knit the first of 4 cable pieces and it looks much better. I feel like I’m making scarves and I’m enjoying having so few stitches on the needles for a change but eventually all the pieces will be sewn together to make a huge blanket.
And last but not least to a yarn shop on Sunday and bought myself some new yarn without any projects in mind – which is not normal for me! Well the super chunky yarn is for a neck-warmer for a friend but the other yarn is for me to experiment with. I bought 3 skeins of a 50/50 cotton linen mix that I hope will be enough for a “yet-to –determine” sweater and one tiny ball of 50/50 cotton bamboo mix because I want to try to move into using non-animal derived fibers but to date I’ve only used wool or cheap acrylic and I’ve no idea how these new yarns will knit, stretch, or more importantly feel against the skin. But it will be fun to experiment with for sure.