I thought that knitting a sweater would take forever so I’ve been blown away with how quickly this sweater is growing. Once it got past the sleeve separation portion it finally started to look like a sweater instead of a cowl ……but it started to look like a tiny sweater! I started to get a bit worried even though I did a gauge swatch and measured for size it still looked miniscule. I decided to just keep going and if it didn’t fit when it was finished I would just throw a fit and then eventually start over.
I kept going and ended up getting really close to the end of the sweater, about the stage where I had to decide if it was long enough so I took it off the needles by putting the stitches onto spare yarn and tried it on – it fit, yay! It’ll fit even better after blocking but it fit well enough that I stopped being so worried. I decided to do another inch of stst before starting the ribbing purely because I hate when my tops are too short and I feel the need to constantly pull them down. So I started to put the stitches back on my needles and disaster struck…..the needle wouldn’t fit back into the stitch with the waste yarn, I was dropping stiches left and right so I decided to put in a safety line with finer yarn down about 2-3 just in case.
But I managed to mess that up too by getting lost half way through the round and picking up stitches off two different rows. After much cursing, poking and prodding, I finally managed to get all the stitches back onto the needles (and picked up all the dropped stitches along the way) and now I’m re-knitting the inch and a half I lost in that mess!
Lessons learned…..use two sets of circular needles to try on a jumper don’t do the waster yarn thing it was a complete waste of time….. and trust the swatch not your eyes!
Also Boomer seems to think that every knitted item is a dog blanket (this is what happens when I try to take photos!)