The quilt is finished and I could not be happier with how it turned out. At the last quilt update I was bang smack in the middle of quilting the vertical lines down the quilt. I decided kind of last minute to do a straight line down either side of each square. Then I added horizontal lines in with a light green thread which I was a little worried would be too bright but it actually blends in quite well and fits in perfectly with the colour palette I choose for the quilt.
Next on to the binding. The binding was always going to be stripes no questions about it. I cut 3 inch wide strips of the binding fabric and then sewed all the strips together until I had a crazy long binding strip. Some quick ironing created a fold and then I sewed the edges onto the front of the quilt. The corners were a bit tricky but I muddled my way thorough.
I contemplated machine stitiching the binding around the edge onto the back of the quilt but I’m just not that skilled at creating perfectly straight lines so I decided to hand stitch the binding onto the back within about 30 seconds of starting I knew I’d made the right choice. It sewed up really quickly (about an hour or two) and the stitches are invisible. Perfect.
Here it is in all of its glory, wonky quilting lines and mistakes with the backing fabric be damned – I love it!!
Hopefully my Mam will love it just as much when I give it to her – it’s a Christmas and Mother’s Day present combined (along with some flowers) since Mother’s Day in Ireland is a lot earlier than in the US. And in case my enthusiam for this project went over your head I can tell you that I’m already planning out my next quilt – I’m smitten with quilting!
[If you want to see all of the steps that went into making this little beauty; here is the half-square triangle construction, sewing the rows together to make a quilt top, the big mistake I made with the quilt back and how I fixed it, and finally the quilting itself]