After my first semi-successful attempt at making a “quilt-top” which turned out quite imperfect but still quite useable I was itching to try again. I already knew that I was going to use the 2 quilt tops to make Boomer a new crate-liner/dog bed and since it was almost Christmas (and seasonal fabric was on a great sale) I made the second side of the dog-bed Christmas themed.
Instead of doing the same patchwork squares I had previously done I decided to make a triangle quilt top. But the biggest thing I changed this time around was accurate measuring and cutting. I thought I was being accurate the last time but it was very evident when all the pieces were sewn together that more than couple of rectangles got mixed in with those squares.
Not this time! I spent twice as long measuring and cutting compared to sewing but the effort really paid off because the corners matched up perfectly. It didn’t quite go off without a hitch though (of course!) I managed to forget to take seam allowances into account when I was measuring the squares – I forgot that each square would lose a half inch when the triangles were cut out and sewn together – and therefore the top was a little too small for the crate. But a little bit of improvisation later and I had added a border to the edges to account of the missing inches. Then just like I did with the bench cover I created sides a top and a bottom with a zipper and sewed the 2 quilt tops into a dog-bed cover. I stuffed it with the leftover foam from the bench project and popped it in the crate.
Boomer loved it! Side-note this was also our only Christmas decoration this year since we weren't at home for Christmas!
I now feel comfortable enough with my measuring and sewing skills to attempt my first “big” quilt (although I’ll keep working on the math skills!).