I’ve been flying through knitting the Irish blanket – I’m well ahead of the deadline of having it made my Christmas. In fact I’m hoping that I might even have it finished by thanksgiving which would be fantastic because the whole time I’ve been knitting it all I can think of is all of the things that I could be doing instead for example:
- My first attempt at quilting, which I’ve decided will be a dog bed, because A) Boomer could do with a new dog bed and B) it will use up all my scrapes without making yet another patchwork cushion
- I’d like a knit a different blanket – in a luxurious thick cream colour for the couch and in the process learn how to do cable stitching which I’ve never tried to do before
- I still want to put paint on that big canvas……
- Christmas napkins would be fun to make…
- Make a big beautiful quilt
See finishing this blanket is really important, not so that I can start all those other projects but so that I will no longer have the time do dream up new ones! At this rate there’s no way I have the time to get all of the things made that I’d like to make made. I need a good, hard mentally taxing project to get lost in so I can stop dreaming and start making.
The problem with knitting this blanket is that it’s too easy, there’s no challenge to it, I barely even have to look at the stitches anymore, it’s just simple lines of knit2, purl2 on repeat. I could do it in my sleep, and I don’t have the I wonder what it will look like all finished because look there’s Boomer having out on the finished on in the background.
So to take a break from knitting last night I rummaged through my bab of scrapes and began cutting up 3.5 inch squares to begin making a quilted dog bed – tedious work that required a lot of concentration (and math skills!) and once I’d made my pile of squares I put them aside and started a fresh on the blanket – a change is as good as a break.
This is a beautiful blanket, that is almost finished, which means it can keep me warm as I make it and I’m really happy with how it’s turning out so far. I can’t wait to wrap it up all ready for Christmas.
So tell me is there anything you're working on that you're just dying to get finished, not because you don't like but just so that you can start something else??