So this is my fourth sewing project and it's not losing it appeal to me at all - in fact every time I finish a project I get really excited about starting another one straight away. I came up with the design for this cushion because I wanted something that would work with the patchwork cushion I made last week and I still had some that fabric left over.
I cut the fabric into almost triangles - I say almost because I tried it first with actual triangles and forgot to account for seam allowances (rookie error or what!) so when I pieced them together they were no longer triangles and all the edges were off. So almost triangles worked a lot better. I pieced them together, sewed a 1/4 seam, creating a square and then added a rectangle of plain white fabric - resulting in a quite pretty cushion top.
I really pushed myself with this cushion and decided I'd try adding a zipper to the bottom. It seemed easy enough right up until the moment I actually placed the zipper, then it suddenly seemed really hard. But I muddled my way through it. I cut out the backing fabric and pinned it to the front (right-sides together), sewed approx. 2 inches in along both ends of the bottom, pressed back the edges, inserted the zipper into the gap and pinned in place - so far so good.
I opened the zipper and the sewed all the other edges togehter with 1/4 seams the I turned it the right way around, pressed all the seams flat and pushed the pillowform into it. It turned about even better than expected - now don't get me wrong the zipper isn't perfect, it bunched up a bit on one side but for a first attempt I can live with a little bit of bunching.
Oh and just in case you thought that Boomer had suddenly become craft-phobic, and decided to give me a bit of time to myself rest assured he loves it more than I do - here he is "helping" me photograph the cushion.
Oh and you can check out the other beginner sewing projects I've been up to here: