This is the first of two knitting projects I finished while in Ireland (and let’s not even start discussing the ones I’ve since started and planned out yet!). The other project I finished was my cardigan which still requires a good blocking before I can call it fully complete and start wearing it.
These are the instantly recognisable Hermione socks from Ravelry – a fantastic free pattern that over 9000 people have made so it seemed like an obvious choice to use for my first pair of socks. I paired it with some Stroll Tonal fingering weight yarn in Blue Violet from KnitPicks. I had a few problems with getting the socks to fit properly. I made the cast on a little too tight but only realised after I already had the leg portion completed.
I decided that I would complete the socks as is and give them to Kathy instead of starting over. As I repeatedly tried them on to ensure that they were the right length though the stitches stretched out perfectly and the only thing that felt tight was that cast on. I still let Kathy have them though. Live and learn, right....better fit next time.
I also did the heel flap the wrong way around. I thought it looked a little off but figured it was a design element. I still think it looks ok the way it is but I didn't even realise it was wrong until I'd completed the pair!
Project 2/15: Hermione Socks
New/Improved Techniques: First time making a sock. Making a heel flap and turning a heel was fun and these ended up taking me way longer than I expected on those tiny size 1 needles.
[Linking up with Small Things]